View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 09:28 PM
KathyB

Hello,

I am not a vegan, but I am lactose intolerant.

Have you worked with a dietician to help determine which foods are okay for you to eat? That was how I was able to discover what was giving me problems. He gave me a super restrictive diet to be on for just one week. That is long enough for most things to clear through your system. Gluten takes longer, but generally it takes about two or three days for food to completely pass from your system.

He said if I felt better after a week I could start introducing more foods to my diet. I did feel better after one week. I had to add the foods back one at a time with a few days in between.

It really helps to focus on the things you can eat. Look for tasty food that you can eat. If you really like milk, I would recommend coconut milk. It has a rich creamy consistency. It is really rich, like drinking cream so you might want to mix it with water. Or you could mix it with soy milk, almond milk or rice milk. It is also good mixed with fruit juice.

Your options for tasty food on a limited diet improve a lot if you learn to make your own. It does not have to be hard. There are some really simple things you can do. If you heat up a can of beans and mix in a spoonful of chili seasoning mix you have a pretty good vegan chili that takes very little time to make.