Thread: Crows
View Single Post
Old 26-10-2017, 10:15 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makoiyi
I 'm lucky enough to share my life with 2 Ravens and 2 Jackdaws there smaller cousins, I did have a Crow and a Magpie for a short time this summer but the Crow sadly didn't make it and the Magpie was able to be released, I still see the magpie as he joined the wild magpies who live here.

I rehab wild birds for the local vets in the area and as most other wild life rehabbers wont take in Corvids, they come here as I seem to have been adopted by a few of them.

They don't make great pets despite being extremly intelligent, they need constant attention or things to do as they easily get board and can then be very distructive, they also can be quite difficult to look after and in most countries / states you have to be licenced to look after and keep them. I do have the relevant licences for these guys as they are not releasable due to injuries etc.

I'm Canadian First Nations and in my culture Crows are messenger's from the Creator / Creatress and the Ancestors as well as being a bit of a trickster.

The Raven returned the light to us so is the bringer of light as well as a messenger, where as Crow is a gentler messenger if Raven turns up in your life its a big wake up call. Raven also carries great wisdom and will lead you back through the darkness safely but keep a sense of humour handy as both are tricksters and make you look at yourself and how foolish you can be. You'll learn the lessons you need to with them and you'll learn that ego has no place with you, the lessons can be tough but nearly always have you laughing at yourself.

My Ancestors I know from past experience have a wicked sense of humour, so must be in fits of laughter with the antics and chaos of all these Corvids they keep sending my way. Saying that at least I'm keeping them entertained and I sure wouldn't change this humbling learnig experience for anything.

The Jackdaws love to help themselves to anything they think that I class as special, especially pens and my paint brushes. These get stashed in some interesting places along with my boot laces and anything else they think interesting including food and bits of paper.

The Raven's love to stash all kinds of things in my boots and socks, they also consider me as an honouree Raven and that my baseball cap is my removable beak, as they like to hold each others beaks they like to hold the peak of my baseball cap or my finger if they get a chance. Its part of their family bonding as is the mutual preening and bath time. I get to hold the hose for them but they make sure I also get wet.

Life with Corvids both in the physical and the spiritual sense is very rewarding and challenging on a daily basis but I'd not change it for the world. I know how lucky and how honoured I am to be able to experience this and that's bought home to me every night when I lay in bed after turning off the lights and a voice in the darkness wishes me Nite Nite. Its the voice of Manitou the Raven and I never taught him to say that but I do wish them all Nite Nite before I turn out the lights and head for my bed. Only once Ive been in bed about 10 minutes with the lights out will Manitou wish me Nite Nite, he choses to do that himself and to me that is a truely wonderful gift.

Manitou the Raven.

Makoiyi, what you do is wonderful, you have a beautiful heart. I love your posts and these amazing pictures. Thank you for sharing