View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit
One issue is with hatcheries. If this lady buys the chicks from a hatchery, undoubtedly the male chicks will be discarded since very few people want roosters. It is possible to adopt hens, but you have to look in animal shelters or pet adoption websites and they aren't as common as the typical house cat that needs a good home.

I live on a farm with chickens, and I still don't eat their eggs though because I just don't feel like they are mine to take or use. Farm sanctuaries will sometimes feed the eggs back to the chickens.

It's interesting you should say that because this lady gets all her hens from the local animal rescue (and dogs and cats) She loves to see them come out and look around at all the grass, and their new lifestyle, and start running around. Once one came out of its carry-box, started walking about the grass, then came back up to her, cocked its head on one side, looked at her, and ran off to join the other chickens. She swore it was saying "thanks"! lol.
She does actually let them have some of their own eggs back for them to eat, and because she's a small operation only takes about 50% of the eggs anyway.