View Single Post
Old 19-12-2019, 02:09 PM
Master
Namaste.

The first shloka from the Bhagavad Gita sets the tone and gives the whole background story for the unfolding of events IN the context they are about to be related to the reader.

The Bhagavad Gita forms a small part of the larger narrative which is the Mahabharata and it essentially is a dialogue between the blind king of the Kauravas called Dritarashtra and his scribe, Sanjaya.

Now, due to Dritarashtra's blindness - which some would argue that it was not a physical blindness but one of being Spirituality blind or ignorant of the truth, he couldn't see what was going on right in front of him and why the battle was occuring in the first place..

So, Dritarashtra spoke to Sanjaya:

Dritarashtra Uacha (Uacha is the verb of Vacham - to speak).

Dharmakshetra, Kurukshetra, samaveda yuyudsawah.
Maamaka Pandavaschaiva, kim acurywat O' Sanjaya?

Which means, on this holy battlefield of Kurukshetra, what happened between the Pandavas and the Kauravas which has now led to this battle? Tell me, Sanjaya.

The translation is pretty much straight forward.

The word Geet or Gita or Geeta...no matter how it is spelled simply means "song" as the Sanskrit language is meant to be sung and not spoken..that is basically how that is.

Now, I realise that I am not interacting with you and I also realise you had asked me not to reply to your posts and threads anymore...however, when it comes to the correct translations of Hindu holy books from the original Sanskrit, that does not apply. LOL

Aum Namah Shivaya