View Single Post
Old 26-01-2020, 06:59 AM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelyn
A lot of popular Buddhist translations into English are terrible if you are looking for meanings according to English. The average English speaker will never get the meanings seems to me. Like we have the Dalai Lama in a video explaining we are consciousness and we give life to the embryo when we enter it around the time of birth. Then somebody reads a Loka Sutta translation and falsely thinks, oh consciousness is a delusion. Or they conclude consciousness arises as a product of dependent origination, and goes away with cessation.

The real meanings of something like the Loka Sutta can be found as an English speaker, but you have to do some real mental gymnastics to get there. But then I don't think the translators care much about conveying meaning as they probably are just trying to do a word match game and produce as many translations as possible to get more traffic to their web sites.

Perhaps it’s more like, you don’t get it, and look for rationale to justify that you have no idea what dependent origination is, and optionally choose to criticize translations and translators as the issue,

No one read the Lola sutra and thinks consciousness is a delusion, firstly because it doesn’t say that and secondly because, as I said, everything in those teachings is verifiable...lol

That’s the meaning of practice.

All these people picking and choosing words and interpretations to fit their meaning; amateurish and conceited..

As to HHDL, he is a Tibetan teacher, each system has to be read in the context of those traditions teachings. All are correct in their system of definition and context. At the end if they day, the outcomes are. Dry similar though form may look different

Your constant elucidations are ok for what they are, but they’re pretty easy, obvious points. Go study how consciousness comes about, and why all that is, is Anatta and dukkha - not through study or words, and then come to the forum to “explain” why you are the master of Buddhist translations

LoL

Jl