View Single Post
Old 26-02-2018, 04:23 PM
Molearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
In part, yes. Your reality is defined by your perceptions, your perceptions are defined by your beliefs and your beliefs are defined by your definitions.

If you're going to try and understand 'ego' in the forum vernacular, don't try to understand the word 'ego' but people's propensity to redefine words that make them sound more Spiritual. Ironically their own definition of the word.

The shorter version of your is.... not right. If you really want to understand the go forget any Spiritual definitions and go Google it, Jung is the foremost expert.

Greenslade,

Thanks for your response. It would have been helpful if you had provided Jung's definition of ego. My quick Google of 'Jung's definition of ego' yielded this: "According to Jung, the ego represents the conscious mind as it comprises the thoughts, memories, and emotions a person is aware of. The ego is largely responsible for feelings of identity and continuity"(end of quote). I interpet 'identity' as that awareness that separates us from others. I interpret 'continuity' as that which relates to one's desire for survival.

What I offered was not a defintion per se even though I foolishly used the word 'definition'. Specifically, I spoke of 'programs and functions'.....now this, of course, is a legitimate subject for debate. I took notice in this forum.....#1030 in 'Qutoes From the Masters and Teachers' provided by _A human Being_ :"Part of the basic condition of the human body-mind is a certain protective contraction that creates the ego structure-that's just part of being human, and it's not a problem. The ego doesn't need to be dismantled, only seen for what it is.'-Jon Bernie(end of quote). Naturally I focused on the words 'protective contraction'. So while you might disagree with my concept of the ego, as is often the case, one can find confirmation(or agreement) from others.

Furthermore, you seem to be loyal to a static definition of ego as initially provided by Jung. Frankly I would think Jung would be gratified by the attempts of others to consider his exposition and any subsequent attempts to understand it and expand it in ways that reveal the implications of it.....specifically programs and functions.