View Single Post
Old 05-06-2019, 07:26 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepus
Hi Chrysalis,

I bought black spray paint a while ago for coating my picture frame. The idea was to coat the glass for divination, but I've noticed some of the paint began to peel off. Especially since I had it cleaned with alcohol (Florida water) with a rag. So I assume the paint must have scraped off. Has this ever happened to you? And what kind of paint do you use? I've used Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2X. I really like this spray paint because of the extra coating adding a shiny surface.

Lepus

Hi Lepus,

Sorry that some of the paint peeled off. Now let's see if we can figure out why. Perhaps a comparison of our methods will help.

For the black mirror, I used a non-glossy finish black paint which cost more compared to the others in the store. I chose non-glossy because the glass is shiny enough. I believe the brand was Krylon Dual. If memory serves, the paint wasn't for rust protection. I made sure it was good for glass and other surfaces. I sprayed the back side of the glass, covered it up with cardboard and folded down the clips from the frame. End result, a shiny front that can be cleaned as normal glass because the surface is glass and the paint is protected by the cardboard. This is the backside of my mirror.

On the altar tools I used the same brand you did but with a satin finish. It combined paint and primer. As for dusting them, they haven't been around long to collect dust but when they do, I figure wiping them with a dry lint free cloth should work. Or I'll use my bare hands.

I followed the instructions on the label from the paint can and made sure the surfaces were clean. For cleaning the glass, I used 99% rubbing alcohol because it doesn't have oil in it, to get rid of smudges before spray painting it. The altar tools looked clean enough so I spray painted them as they were.

One idea as to what might have happened to your glass is that your paint didn't have a primer in it. The other possibility is that Florida Water has oil in it which prevented the paint from adhering to the glass.

I hope this helped.

"But ask now the beasts, and they shall teach thee; and the fowls of the air, and they shall tell thee:

Or speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee: and the fishes of the sea shall declare unto thee."
Job 12: 7 and 8 (KJV)