View Single Post
Old 22-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Do they guide or simply try to help us? I find it inappropriate to use the same word 'guide' when we refer to (for example) friends or loved ones in spirit, as we do when we speak of Silver Birch.

There is no reason that the former are necessarily able to give us reliable guidance, even in personal matters.

By contrast, Silver Birch was someone who gave universal guidance.

Would we call a regular teacher 'professor'? Of course not because there is a clear difference between the two in levels of attainment and, by implication, ability.

Why, then, do we stubbornly use 'guide' when we can readily see similarly distinguishable differences?

I do agree the word 'guide' is overly used but it can apply to different circumstances, although knowing that there is a difference is what I feel is important.

I personally would never expect any family member or friend to 'guide' me on my spiritual pathway because I know they do not have the knowledge or experience necessary to perform this task. But I do know they have the ability to 'guide' me in the right direction or 'help me' to find the answers for myself, just as they did when they lived here. This doesn't imply they solve any of my challenges, that is my responsibility for I have to still work through issues that come into my life otherwise there is no point in me being here.

Silver Birch said, 'Only a medium has a spirit guide'. This does not imply superiority between people whatsoever. It's about those who work at developing their mediumship and those who choose not to, it simply means the latter has no need for a spirit guide, as they are not intending to develop mediumship. You can guarantee some people will disagree with this comment, but I have no doubt Silver Birch has far more knowledge than any one person here, so I am inclined to believe his words above others.