View Single Post
Old 27-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Kepler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningMist
Nah, I don't think they 'hate' spirituality, exactly, but I did know a couple of scientists who gave me the following impression:

In their case, it was almost as though their very 'scientific nature' needed absolute 'order', with no surprises, no inexplicable 'mysteries' or happenings, and solid walls of assurance and knowledge wrapped tightly around them like a security blanket.

The very mention of the word 'spirituality' seemed to make every muscle in their body twitch in agitation. I smelled fear, but never pressed the issue.
Thanks for sharing. I don't know the individuals you're talking about specifically so it's impossible for me to speak for them, but your story reminded me about what I feel is a general misconception about scientists, which is definitely relevant to this thread.

For some reason, many people seem to think that scientists think they have it "all figured out" and that they do not like mysteries or surprises. This is not true! This is almost the opposite of reality. Sure, some scientists may seem confident or even arrogant, but in general, science thrives on mysteries and surprises. What do people think scientists do? They are constantly probing the unknown, tackling mysteries head-on. Personally, this is what has driven me to become a scientist (I'm a student, at the moment).