Thread: Spiritual Films
View Single Post
Old 25-02-2017, 03:08 AM
Newbie ;)

I'm glad to see there is a lot of love for Vincent Ward's "What Dreams May Come." This is one of my favourite movies, it is centred in the spirit and manages to express very well the idea that both we and this world is essentially mindful and spiritual. It draws on famous art and makes it live within a motion picture. Also the centre of the movie is a quest that makes it all feel very personal and real. I think Ward is a very under rated Director, his other movies are quite different but the Navigator, Map of the Human Heart and the Rain of Children are also well worth watching.

I think the documentary film on Yogananda "Awake" is very good, for the portrait on a very important modern spiritual figure, it dramatises it well and also shows what amazing determination the man had.

Polanski's "Jesus of Nazareth" is a very good telling of Jesus' story and I'll probably watch that every Easter and Christmas. I think we should find this a very inspiring story still.

I think all great works of human imagination are in a way spiritual. A movie like Miyazaki's "Howl's Moving Castle" which is a feat visually, but also delves into the human heart. I'm generally a fan of his movies particularly also Laputa, Ponyo and Princess Mononoke.

Another fantastic and original cartoon film is "Song of the Sea" (also Secret of Kells) it's got a strong mythological bent to it and is fascinatingly expressed.

I also the the Lord of the Rings does pretty well at visualising Tolkien, who obviously is one of the greatest 20th Century mythologises.