View Single Post
Old 19-07-2019, 07:06 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
I don't believe we literally live in a Matrix, there's different 'worlds' but this doesn't make A any more real than B, and it doesn't mean B is an illusion just because you're aware of A. The Matrix movies say something rather different..
I suppose The Matrix is one imagining of what social control aims to do. I see it more about puppets. People segregate into puppets and the intelligentsia (those who pull the strings). There's no solid wall between them so people could move from one to the other and do - though I can't think why anyone would want to return to the puppets. And of course some people awaken to the puppetry/matrix and simply map it for what it is; without wanting to belong. Among them are those who map what intelligentsia are up to, too. Some are here - the "spiritually" awakened or perhaps better said they're on the path of casting aside delusion and illusion, call it spiritual if you want and with the goal of controlling their own lives, manipulating the matrix and its managers to their advantage wherever they can.

For many, though, they do what they've been programmed to do (increasingly by government these days as, certainly in the UK, parental responsibilities are removed or neglected). What they buy, what they eat, what they wear is in the hands of commerce and the government. Consensus is built up and veiled punishments (such as being cast out) are warned if they fail to comply.

To me the essence of politics is the struggle between different ideologies over managing the matrix, if you like - like religions each claiming to be the right way and doing all possible to silence opposition!