Thread: The C word
View Single Post
Old 24-01-2013, 08:14 PM
StephenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baile
That's certainly very interesting and there's no doubt a lot of truth there. Now if only I had read that 10 years ago, before I stopped eating meat.
Heeeheee I feel your pain... :^)

I went almost a year recently as a strict veggie (did veggie also for 4 years when I was younger) and liked it at first, (back then and more recently) but in each there came a point where my body would "demand" that I eat meat. In each case I was absolutely dedicated to the veggie diet but even the picture of a piece of sausage in an ad would almost drive me to distraction. This book appeared as a godsend.. that and Natasha Campbell-McBride's (founder of GAP's) observations on the subject of "cravings". She highlighted the connection we have between our taste cravings and our bodily needs... she did make the distinction between eating sound healthy foods and distancing ourselves from the garbage. Once we do so we then need to listen... what are we actually hungry for? .. what are we craving? When our body is familiar with what we're willing to give it, it will prompt us for what to eat next, and as to how much... Sometimes we'll be craving a salad and veggies, other-times will tilt more towards meat, and at other times we won't be hungry at all, and then there's the times that we're starving... If the foods that we expose ourselves to are clean and intelligently chosen, then the feedback loop between our cravings and our needs become ever more clear, and quite specific. I've been going with this pattern over the last year or so and it works... quite remarkable really... it doesn't take much meat to turn the cravings of.. veggies sometimes are the only thing I'm longing for.. it's kinda cool to be taking control over my individual needs by honoring the voice of my body as it whispers whats-next. :^)