View Single Post
Old 13-04-2019, 03:33 PM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
As I sit here tonight, the Serenity Prayer comes into my mind:

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, And wisdom to know the difference".

How do we know and understand when we are "wise" enough to tell the difference between those things we can change and those we cannot?

Isn't affirming something simply a desire to change or control things which may be beyond our influence or ability to do so, instead of merely accepting things how they are?

If I could affirm anything, it would be to be taken more seriously and to engage in more "deep and meaningful" conversations, yet whenever I express this desire, I am always advised to act with selfless intent and not to wish for or expect any desired outcome...which leaves me wondering "what about this Law of Attraction" thing then?

Why is it that I always seem to "attract" negativity, when one would think that if the Universe wanted me to grow spiritually, it would be a heck of a lot more supportive and understanding instead of being rude and dismissive.

If it is my ego that is getting in the way and my lesson is to "let go, let God", do I honestly know what I want and what is best for me that I am even able to make an affirmation? would that not be what my ego wants, which may not even be beneficial to me on any "soul level?" I mean, do I even have any free will or am I just going along for the ride?

Free will is not necessarily about changing your circumstances, it is all about changing your mind and how you feel. I heard a story about an Auschwitz survivor who was healthy, though starved and he was asked how he survived so long in the camp and he said, they could imprison my body but they could not imprison my mind.

Like I said in another thread, maybe two other threads, affirmations are about feeling supported and worrying or obsessing over something is counter productive. Know you are supported and go about your business, you don't even need affirmations more than once if you can do that.

You mentioned the wisdom to know the difference about what you can and cannot change. Here is I determine it, if it involves something someone else is doing that has nothing to do with me accept it. If it is something I think about someone that may or may not be true, I find a way to change it. It really is all about the way we think. I am not saying let people walk all over you, I take a stand when someone tries to abuse/mainpulate or take advantage of me (though I am not mean about it like I used to be), I am saying give people a break, you don't know what is going on in their heads.

When I learned this, I felt like I was surrounded by crazy people and they were making my life miserable, and because of a suggestion to change the way I thought about those people I found that I was just as crazy as they were and we all had different ways of coping with trauma and stress. I looked for something I liked about each of them and found by doing that we got along better and they revealed some things that made me realize it was not them, it was me who had to change. We were all in a messy situation and each of us had to figure out how to be ok.

I don't know if this helps but I do wish you blessings on your journey.