View Single Post
Old 27-03-2017, 06:39 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Surfer
Hi, I meditate, with like a year break, for about 4 years. I try to focus on a mantra, but the mind uses every opportunity to disturb the silence in between the chanted mantras(i say them mentally actually). Sometimes it seems like I can sense the silence underlying the whole area of my mind, but can't quite get there. Any ideas how could I improve my practice? All help will be greatly apprieciated.

Hi Soul Surfer,

If you are doing mantra meditation the goal is not to reside in the silence it is to repeat the mantra.

Here is an example of a mantra instruction.

Quote:
Once you have gotten comfortable, slowly close your eyes. You will notice thoughts, streams of thoughts. That is fine. Just observe them without minding them. After about a minute, gently introduce the thought ...I AM... and begin to repeat it easily and effortlessly in your mind. If your mind wanders off into other thoughts, you will eventually realize this has happened. Don't be concerned about it. It is natural. When you realize you are not repeating the mantra, gently go back to it. This is all you have to do. Easily repeat the mantra silently inside. When you realize you are not thinking it, then easily come back to it. The goal is not to stay on it. The goal is to follow the simple procedure of thinking the mantra, losing it, and coming back to it when you find you have lost it. Do not resist if the mantra tends to become less distinct. Thinking the mantra does not have to be with clear pronunciation. I AM can be experienced at many levels in your mind and nervous system. When you come back to it, come back to a level that is comfortable, not straining for either a clear or fuzzy pronunciation.

Your update is a good sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Surfer
So a little update...today when I was meditating (while saying mantra in my mind) for a brief moment I lost a sense of where I was (and I haven't fall asleep). I don't know how else to call it, when I came back to my senses I had to remind myself I'm still in my room. It's a first time ever something like that happened to me. So I guess there is some progress in my practice after all. Apparently patience is the key ;D

What is happening is you are going deeper than your consciousness can maintain so you just kind of pass out but in a unique way just like you just described.

It is a good sign of making progress

All the best.