View Single Post
Old 16-08-2016, 10:37 AM
Pathfinder
Hi Bubbles! I just checked on your age - 19 and I recall that around that age one does become more aware of the fragility of life, as teens and young 20s (sometimes older people too) tend to have a sense of invulnerability until something happens to make them question this - such as what recently happened to you.

I lost mine quite early, at 13, when my 26 yr old brother took his own life, but to a degree I still felt relatively invulnerable myself. I do feel though that around the age of 20, it dawns on a lot of us that we are mortal.

However, until I was around 40, I did feel relatively in charge of my own destiny, and this is what personally changed for me around this time. Bad things happened in my life (I won't list them here) that made me realise that we are a lot less in the driving seat, with a firm hold on the wheel, than we think we are. Control in this life, is an illusion, and as we mature and more and more stuff happens that is tough, hard and difficult to live through, the more we realise this, IMO. To me, the challenge of life is realising we are not in control, but not allowing this to get us down or derail us, but to use these experiences for our growth.

I'm one to talk, I have suffered depression severe enough to be hospitalised, plus an addiction (now happily in the past) so I have been seriously derailed. Always expect the unexpected!