View Single Post
Old 10-03-2016, 09:01 PM
Newbie ;)

Thank you for this history...:)

"The Sami are arguably the only indigenous people within the European Union. They are concentrated in the northern parts of Norway, Sweden, Finland, and the Kola Peninsula of Russia. They share a common language and distinguishable traditions dating back thousands of years. The Sami heritage became threatened when Finland started rebuilding herself after the Second World War with the ambition of forging “one people, one language, one nation.” Lapland, the northern part of Finland, an extremely rural part of the country, was in dire need of modernisation in order to achieve this goal. These Finnish policies had a direct impact on the Sami communities in the country, as families were converted to a Finnish culture, language, and lifestyle. The Sami were seen as a barbaric people at the time, and many were forced to abandon their old traditional ways of life. This has been a hushed topic in Finland for decades, but it has recently started to gain more public interest"

I share this with you as I have Sami ancestors on my matriarchal side. Their story is similar to the turtle island and abya yala nations. Well actually the story is similar to indigenous peoples globally that have faced the genocidal policies of church and state.
I will share the source with you in pm.