View Single Post
Old 20-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Wisa'ka

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWarrior
I have not adopted the Native American / Indian American religious system; it feels wrong to do so as I have never been of that blood. But there are elements of it that resonate with me. For one instance, I have dealings with White Buffalo Woman.

The story of me receiving a Cherokee name is s strange one. Last year a close friend of mine with a part of her documented heritage being Cherokee, visited the nearest related reservation for reasons of her own. She enjoyed a meeting with the elders who seemed quite interested, and in passing also told them about me. They asked to see a picture of me, and then wanted to see an item I had touched. She showed them a blade I had given her not long before. At which point they said to her they looked at my essence and knew who I was. Someone who had helped the tribe in past lives. And for that reason they decided to gift me with a name, which I treasure. I hope one day to have the funds to visit them and honor the tribe to the best of my ability. As yet, I have not even been in the US. I have spoken with the chief once though when he called my friend while she was chatting with me on the computer.

Not to sidetrack, but of course you know the Cherokee were not so much a tribe, but rather a nation of Iroquoian tribes that broke off the main Iroquoian drift northwards and settled in the southern Appalachians. The Iroquoian Tuscarora and Nottoway who lived/live in Virginia and North Carolina were also part of this division and very much kin to their Cherokee neighbors.