View Single Post
Old 10-02-2018, 04:54 PM
Master
I personally have taken notice to usage of the word Ego associated with spirituality.

To both Lorelyen and Greenslade, I actually agree with you both where Freud is used as example, yet also Jung is cited. What I personally believe is that both Freud's and Jung's definitions of the word are in a sense right, they are explaining the same word, in each there own ways, but if one looks past all the jargon used, one may consider there are similarities with both definitions.

It goes further though for me, the word self is used often with ego. But even self does not quite cut it exactly for me. You see the word I from English translated into Latin becomes the word Ego.

Therefore when spiritual discussions of Ego, and Ego death and how to rid oneself of Ego come up I realize authors whom would advocate such- or wherever the notion that one has to eradicate their Ego has come from is to me, unhealthy as a view of one's own identity.

Ego by definition equates to one's identity and perception of it, and how they communicate that identity to the world or others via the usage within our languages that indicate usage of a word I.

What I find many spiritual seekers speaking of when they make comments like "spiritual ego". They are not talking about Ego- Identity- they are actually speaking of their thoughts on "Arrogance" or "Pride".

It appears to me people walk on eggshells to refer to this part of themselves as Ego instead of what it really is, because using the word arrogance in regards to themselves/ actions, makes them uncomfortable.

I see nothing wrong with calling what others talking about with spiritual Ego, what I truly feel it is- or at least how people seem to use the context of the words "Spiritual Ego".

I see it instead as "Spiritual Arrogance", because Arrogance holds better connotations of the ideas being spoken about, in my language than the word Ego. In Latin Ego means I. In English I would translate to Ego in Latin. What is so difficult to understand about this fact? Notice the word fact- not concept.

The idea of eradicating one's own identity or Ego, is absolute foolish folly IMO.

Why? Well look at some of the authors whom do speak of the identity in such a way. Has anybody read Carlos Castaneda works? I believe in many of his works if I am not mistaken identity is looked at in something more of a negating light.

I prefer not model my spiritual view after such beliefs.

I prefer to be honest. And in my world Ego still means I (identity)- which I feel no shame of- and Arrogance defines a lot of qualities others are picking at their own self for when they use the word Ego.

Egotistical- makes more sense as it has connotations closer to that of Arrogance.

My point being I feel (these are only my thoughts on this) when others seek to deny their ego what they are truly talking about is denying those parts of themselves they don't like related to arrogance and pride. Only they don't want to accept the idea that they could feel or view themselves as Arrogant or Prideful. So they sweep those words under the rug and mis-label them Ego instead.

Honesty simply hurts too much.

My take on it all anyway.