View Single Post
Old 27-06-2014, 04:38 AM
Pathfinder

Feeling the energy of others...

I'm not quite sure where my question best fits, so I apologize if it's in the wrong section.

I feel that I am very sensitive to the moods/energy of others. This most often leaves me feeling completely worn out by the end of the day. I usually require a lot of quiet time alone to recover from my daily experiences, despite the fact that I feel drawn to working with and helping others.

I currently work in close proximity with someone whose energy feels very scattered and chaotic. I tend to feel uncomfortable around this person, especially when this person is experiencing stress. I usually just try to stay out of the way. This person also tends to come across in a short, agitated tone. The feeling I get from this person is generally quite negative.

What I'd like to understand is how can I express empathy toward others while being highly sensitive to their draining energy? Also, part of me feels that our current connection is meant to be a learning experience. Going with this, I wonder if what I am meant to learn is, "compassion/empathy for the other person," or if I am supposed to learn how to be "more assertive and self-assured when it comes to expressing myself in difficult situations?" Or could it be a combination of the two?

Also, any other thoughts/personal stories regarding being sensitive to the energy of others would be very helpful to me, as I sometimes feel alone in this respect.

I genuinely appreciate any thoughts or ideas. Thank you!