Thread: What is grief?
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 10:04 PM
Knower

I have experienced being me to my knees grief for a very long time. I still feel it sometimes, just not for as long.

There seems to be no philosophy or belief that removes this process, that I have found. And it is surprising sometimes, when we feel it. I've felt it for people who I barely knew but they somehow touched my life.

After years of pondering and feeling, my best theory is that we believe we've lost connection to a piece of existence that created a meaningful experience for us and leaves that hole in us when they go. And, even if we have faith in an afterlife, they are physically gone so whether we can connect to them, the way that we're used to is forever changed.
I know of people who mourn their loved one and yet have direct connection to their spirit.

I truly think that because we are physical beings, our physical sense must be disturbed at the loss of a physical companion on this journey.

Think about if they were going away in space and were going to be safe for the rest of their years but you would never see them again. Saying goodbye would still be horribly hard. The knowledge that they are safe elsewhere just helps intellectually at first. Later, it may comfort, but it wouldn't ease my pain of loss.

Abraham from Ester Hicks tells us that negative emotion is us believing the opposite of the truth. So if we feel grief it's because we believe that we will never be in contact with that loved one again. I say, we are physical so it is natural. And then it manifests how it does for each person.

Just my thoughts.