View Single Post
Old 22-09-2017, 11:21 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Listening to the piece of music I didn't know it was inspired by a fountain. I now know it is, not because I heard the piece, but because I was informed.

It wasn't the fountain in itself, it was the fondness of that fountain, the way that fountain affected the composer, that brought the composition out from him. I know it was fondness from the music itself.

The composer communicates that feeling arising in him, and I feel it, too, and I understand, 'this is what it is like'.

I hear everything as though it is music. I don't know what it is about, if it is 'right or wrong', agree or disagree, but I feel what inspires it and I know what it's like.

So, we communicate on multidimensional levels, and attitudes underlying what is said is palpable. This is important because in the Buddhist teachings virtues such as compassion, fondness and kindness are emphasised. These are not 'factually known' things, and put metaphorically, no one can teach you how the music feels.
That was really nice for me it expresses your meaning well.
I was reminded of the movie August Rush. If you haven't seen it, I really think you would enjoy it.

The cessation of identifying with the fluctuations arising within consciousness