View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 01:27 PM
Knower
Here is an online commentary on the sutras as well...posting the first sutras below;

http://lovebliss.eu/spanda-k-rik-s.html

Quote:
Spanda Kārikās

1) We praise that Shankara, who is the source of all forces and by whom, in a mere twinkle of the eye, the universe springs forth or is absorbed.

"Shankara" means the Absolute.
"Twinkle of the eye" is a translation of "unmesa", which can also mean "coming forth".

2) The pure nature of Him, from whom this universe comes into existence, is not obstructed anywhere.

"Him" refers to Shankara, the Absolute.

3) One's own innate spirit remains untainted through different states, like waking, dreaming, etc., where divisions occur.

After having having praised the Absolute as the source of the cosmos, the text turns to the individual person and states that he arises out of pure being ("one's own innate spirit").

4) States of consciousness such as I am happy, I am miserable, I am attached, etc. clearly all depend on a primal state on which they are strung together.

"Strung together" like beads on a string should be understood in the sense that the primal state of pure being not only supports the relative states, but that the relative states have indeed sprung from the primal state.

5) That is the highest wherein neither pleasure or pain exist, nor where cognizable objects or cognizer exist, but which is not the ignorant state either.

It is important to understand that this highest state is not a dull blankness, it is vibrant life (Spanda) and is your Self. From this Self pleasure and pain, as well as cognizable objects and cognitions, will be witnessed. One will not be caught up in them.

.................................................. .........................................