View Single Post
Old 15-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Wickerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
LadyT, there is a need to be careful over the Burning Times - there is major doubt cast by the stats that came out of a small German city [Ulm, I think]. It is said that the Bishop there massaged the figures. Burnings did occur [Spanish auto de fe ! - the question is, though, who was burnt. The answer to that seems to be mainly heretics i.e. christians including priests.]
I am trying very hard not to become angry here. The original poster, was asking about Pagan rituals being practiced by a christian. By definition then that would make her a heretic, and would of subjugated her to the inquisitors. Though I try very hard to be tolerant of other religions, in the case of christianity, I have a lot of trouble. I see christianity as a form of cultural contamination. It is an alien religion, belonging to a middle-eastern group. In many cases the indigenous religions were forcefully suppressed, that is why we practice a reconstructed form of those religions. I grant though, that were it not for the writings of early christian monks, we would have nothing to go by, also, though were it not for them the old religions would still have been practiced, and we would not need anything to go by. My wife is a christian, though not a revisionist, in that she doesn't try to deny the volume of blood on the hands of the church as some do.