View Single Post
Old 02-05-2020, 06:56 AM
Master

Surprise, surprise!

My daughter-in-law gave me a book, obviously keen to ensure that I don't get too bored in my isolation!
The book is one I would never have myself ever even picked up, but here it is. It's titled 'Naturgeister' it's in German and has been translated from the English. The author is a Marjorie Johnson. The title of the English book hasn't been given but must be something like 'Nature's Spirits'. I've googled around but have found nothing.
Anyway, the book, which I started to read immediately really surprised me. It is full of reports, hundreds of them, most of them with names and they cover a good 150 years from all over the place. All of them report sightings of various 'elementals', from elves to gnomes, fairies to banshees, tree spirits and angels.
Naturally I am completely overwhelmed, never having known that such a collection of experiences existed. These reports remind me in many ways of reports of UFOs and the like, some people see them, some don't. Even when a few people are together there are those who see nothing untoward. Fatima comes to mind, where thousands of people saw the sun move and thousands didn't.

What really causes me to stop and think is an experience I had as a child. I suppose I must have been 4 or 5. I saw a small group of elves, about 5, I think, dancing and singing so happily on the headboard of my bed. They were, in their dress and behaviour just as could be expected. What I do know is that they danced and sang for me personally. They were bathed in light so they were perfectly visible, and I've always, over my long life, assumed it was some sort of hallucination that I had retained in my memory.

Now, after reading this book I'm no longer sure.

The constantly promoted belief (induced by religions) that we are born to be good and obey (in order to enter heaven) is a tragic error in the concept of the universe's plan and an insult to mankind's intellect.

'A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory'
- Mark Twain.