View Single Post
Old 24-10-2016, 07:12 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Pillars
In the context of Genesis 1:1-2, I see the narrative as saying:

In the beginning God Created the heaven (Air) and the Earth (Ground). And the Earth (Ground) was without form, (Dust) and void; (Empty) and darkness (death) was upon the*face of the deep, and the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
It's a good thing that you are able to edit for god and then fill in all the blanks!

If you don't think that people back then knew about air, ground, and water then you're treating them as though they were stick figures with no ability to discern what they were dealing with everyday. Besides it wasn't phrased in the way that you just edited into. It was Heaven, Earth, Water, Void and Darkness. Let's return to that.

This is from the book "Earths of Distant Suns" by Michael Carroll:

The ancients of many cultures understood the concept of “world” in the sense
that Aristotle did—our Earth held court at the center, attended by the Moon,
the Sun, and the planets embedded in their crystalline spheres. Beyond us
shimmered the sphere of the distant stars. Alexandrian astronomer Claudius
Ptolemy later adopted and refined the Aristotelian, Earth-centered model.
His work dominated western thought for the next fifteen centuries.

So you see, they interpreted the words that you just used in an entirely different way than what you just did. They meant exactly what they said thinking that the earth was the big deal and everything else was catering to earths presence. Pretty ignorant by today's standards don't you think? Without you being there to translate things for them they were really at a loss as to what was going on outside their immediate reach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Pillars
Our God is an awesome God.
My puppy is sitting here next to me, she's pretty awesome as well! :)