Thread: Why ?
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 07:35 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Thanks SD interesting....
So what are these guru's doing about this backward mentality, do they speak out and try to change attitudes of their followers, or does it suit them ( some not all ) to treat women as below them ?
Your the expert on Hinduism, enlighten me

I would have thought that spiritual leaders/ teachers etc: would have gone past the gender label and see all as equal, not so it seems because we see this inequality in most religions...
It's difficult to fight thousands of years of tradition within the space of half a century and of course, we know that absolute Brahman is genderless...we know that we are not this (female) body and neither does the opposite apply...yes, so I could set myself up as a 'guru' tomorrow knowing this within myself, but that doesn't mean those who are totally ignorant of the fact are going to know it...and there are more of them out there than us.

See, there are also many 'Gurus' who the majority in India or us in the west don't even know about, because they were not popularised by the media...or they lived before the time when such media popularisation was 'in vogue'...and they have basically been resigned to the annals of oblivion now...like Allama Prabhu, Basavanna and even those like Patanjali and Adi Shankara are fading because personages like Swami Vivekananda, Ramana Maharishi, Yogananda etc have video footage existing of themselves which proved they existed!

When people think of 'Gurus', they tend to think of Ramana, Buddha, Jesus, Ramakrishna, Aurobindo, Swami Sivananda, Ramakrishna...all male and all 'popularised through rhetoric' and so the trend continues...and it self-perpetuates...and meanwhile, if a Tamil Siddhar doesn't get noticed, if the Kashmir Shaivites don't get much mention, if people associate 'guru' with personages like 'Srila Prabhupada' because that is all they know...what chance does a woman have?

I was thinking about doing the whole 'kundalini yoga' thing but Nirmala Devi beat me to it and that isn't how I would go about teaching it...but she is famous now and I am not...ah well.

Om Namah Shivaya