View Single Post
Old 13-02-2018, 05:19 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmartin
it doesn't seem very likely to me Jesus was an Essene, although there were different types of Essenes. This is especially true if the Qumran scrolls were an Essene community
They were ritually into washing and ritual purity which Jesus was not known for promoting. But like him they opposed the Pharisees.
The Qumran scrolls particularly are not compatible with Jesus's teachings
I think that to the extent Essenes were dissenters from the authorities Jesus sort of was like them, but distinct and different again, more an itinerant preacher like John the Baptist

Well the "Scrolls" were simply the collection of Old Testament scriptures, which were preserved by the Essene community.
Which after found, and thoroughly researched through the years, confirms the accuracy of our present biblical texts. Including?
The Book of Isaiah, the most comprehensive of them all; which book has the most Messianic prophesies within it.

Regarding the ritual of "baptism"?
"All authority has been given to me in heaven and earth...
Go you therefore baptising them in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all I have commanded you...

And lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the age." - Jesus

Mathew 28:18

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein