View Single Post
Old 26-01-2018, 04:31 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash112
In my efforts/experiments to introduce people to enlightenment, I've mostly been using concept of the witness as a tool. I was surprised to find that very few people see the value of it at first glance. From a Buddhist point of view am I doing more harm than good? I'm pointing out something that people should discover by their own volition?

I don't personally think that Buddhism has a view on this. Just go with your heart, slash112 That said, I also think that Buddhism generally has a tendency to encourage people to self-realization first. This way, one's actions are better guided in the spirit of Buddhist truths and clarity.

Personally, I don't try to teach anyone anything, if they ask I answer. I think that spirituality is like geology - it probably only speaks to you if you have that spark already inside, but that's just my opinion.

Quote:
So, in Buddhism, there's no direct pointing going on like in Vedanta? I love the directness of Vedanta, but feel I have a lot to learn from Buddhism. Not everyone responds well to that direct pointing.

There is. Zen and Dzogchen are probably considered more of the "direct pointing" schools. I clarify my earlier comment in saying that answers are not generally the "answer" in these traditions i.e. even if we share a "truth" in practice, unless a person knows for themself, it only serves as encouragement i.e. it's only true when it's also true for the next candle/person. To my view, in Buddhism, everything is about self-realization of the truths the Buddhas/Buddhist Masters speak about. Until then, even the truest words fall short. This is my opinion only of course, and nothing more.

Quote:
Makes sense, I love it. I often rest in the absence of the notion of me-and-other. I mostly hold the notion of other for communication purposes.

But yeah I agree that self-cultivation comes first. I had to learn that the hard way. I've still got a ways to go.

Awesome @ Diamond Sutra, btw!

Love

BT