View Single Post
Old 26-11-2018, 09:53 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritictus
The continence that is referred here does not mean that one must abstain from sex and other indulgences completely. The idea is to have self control.
The people who are truly serious about reaching enlightenment aren't interested in any of the indulgences whatsoever, and to any 'lesser' practitioner it is worthwhile to consider giving up indulgences as well. For instance, non-violence is the 1st principle of the yoga system, and meat eating (killing animals, destroying forests, consuming the fear and dread of animals) as well as drinking (worsening one's health and awareness) are violent activities, to others and to self. As for sex, unless it's with a compatible partner that one loves, it's just going to be a literal felt drain of spiritual energy. This is a choice between love and selfish pleasure gratification.

To me it doesn't strike me as ''self control'' - but rather about compassion..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritictus
It is in fact designed for the person who dwells in the material world and fulfills their role as a "Grihastha" before moving into the woods and becoming an ascetic, wandering monk.
I'm familiar with this view.. it is a common view that younger people are to fulfil duties and family life whereas the retired person (usually a male) can renounce duties and indulgences and aim for spiritual growth. I disagree a lot with this view, as it entirely depends on the individual and what they seek in life.