View Single Post
Old 14-11-2012, 12:18 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by malathion
Thanks for both of your input. It's good to know that this was actually a very good buy. It was a less than a third the price of Moldavite.

Here is a picture of my Tibetanite. It's smoothed out and fits in the hand with ease. I believe that it was probably from Tibet and/or used by a Monk, like you've suggested, Astral Explorer.

h ttp://s1285.beta.photobucket.com/user/Malathion1/media/TibetanTektite001.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Cheers,
- Malathion.

To be honest it looks a bit too shiny to me to be a Tibetan Tektite. Real Tibetan Tektites are cheaper than Moldavite is. The point is not that it's cheaper than Moldavite, the point is that you're paying a third of the value of Moldavite for a tektite that is worth less than a 10th of what Moldavite is worth. Your piece looks like a Thailandite or Indochinite dumbbell to me honestly. Tibetanites are much less shiny, their smoothness is more like a velvet smoothness. Thailandites and Indochinites are a shiny surface, Tibetan Tektites I am sure were shiny before Monk's hands wore them down into a velvety smoothness. I would be willing to bet all of my Moldavite that your "Tibetan Tektite" is a Thailandite or a Indochinite, not trying to be ignorant just honest. Thailandites are worth more than the cheaper Indochinite but both of them surely don't have all the metaphysical powers proclaimed in the rare Tibetan Tektite. I am going to show you some pictures of all of them so you can see what I am basing my assumption on.

Indochinite dumbbell:

Thailandite dumbbell & ball:

Real Tibetanites (Tibetan Tektites)

It's probably hard to see with the thumbnails on here. I would click on the Tibetan Tektite one and get a good look at it. They have what is known as a matte surface. Moldavites have matte surfaces that were passed through rivers and sandy river beds, etched Moldavite sat in clayey soil for millions of years and the acids etched the surface slowly. Indochinites & Thailandites have a smooth, shiny, and pitted surface. Tibetanites I am sure had the same surface before Monk's hands wore down the deep pitting into shallow pitting and gave them a matte surface exterior. You have to think about it like this there was only so many tektites that fell in Tibet that Monk's got their hands on, Tibet is only so big. The real ones were worn down over countless years and unless Tibet has an army of Monk's rubbing and meditating with tektites that fell in Tibet 24-7 to supply to the demand that is far greater than the supply. Then people are selling you Indochinites & Thailandites.