View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 12:10 PM
RiversLady

Ya sniped me on that Wisa"ka

This might make naming easier to understand for ya. You can have several names. A family name is only used by
family members. Ex - my husband and I call our child by a pet name that we would get killed for if we called said
child that in public. As mates, the man and I call each other pet names in bed. Wouldn't say those in public either!
You can have a name that you use at gatherings and potlatches. You would have a tribal name given to you at birth (or
shortly after at a naming ceremony), which would be known to those your family lives with. Then there is your real name.
Only you would know what that is. You and the giver I should say. Your real name would also be known to some
in the spirit world. Your helping spirit or your spirit mate would use those.
Because that name is of the spirit world it is the one that a shaman could use to harm your spirit. This is also
the name that they would use to enslave your spirit when it passes out of your physical body. Are you familiar with
a shaman's spirit helpers that they can call upon for help with a difficult task? Most of those are not exactly
willing helpers. Most are of them are dead humans who let their name fall into the shamans hands. They don't
serve into eternity thank goodness. Most are freed when the shaman passes away. And you can be sure they are waiting
for that shaman to pass to they can "reward" them if they had to do things they didn't want to.
In very rare cases, a shaman can give a spirit name of his to another shaman. This should be done only in times
of the greatest need, and the spirit should be thanked with some kind of offering or by giving it
freedom after the crisis has passed.

You wouldn't give Facebook your real name and phone #? ROFL