View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 02:52 AM
Master
Meditation Instead Of Sleep

Greetings and salutations.

I find myself currently staying with my brother for two weeks to help care for my ailing mother...she requires round the clock care...and I scored the 5am to Midday shift.

Problem is, it is school holidays over here and my brother has two teenage children...X box and popcorn with soda at like 2am...and I am in the room next to the kitchen...and then, they invite all their friends for playovers/sleepovers and slumber parties until like 3am with music blaring...My brother has an office in his yard...He sleeps in there...and drinks beer...but wakes up 4-5 times a night to use the toilet inside the house....and I am a very light sleeper. I have no problem getting off to sleep, but once asleep, a fly crawling on the wall will wake me up.

After a few days of this... basically pulling "all nighters" and feeling like something the cat dragged in every day, I decided, last night to meditate between the hours of 1am to 5am...4 hours solid....I am a seasoned practitioner of Raja Yoga...even though I don't practice much anymore and I haven't for 20 years...and meditation is like riding a bicycle...The reason why I stopped... nothing more to achieve.

This morning, I came out of meditation fully awake and alert, like I had 8 hours peaceful sleep.

I just thought I would share...and wonder how long a meditator can go without sleep if they already have an "off switch"?