View Single Post
Old 23-05-2015, 04:18 PM
DayLight1555

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal68
Obviously if there turns out to be no afterlife, then this is the natural state of affairs. I find the idea terrifying, atheists generally seem unperturbed by it, It's just impossible to imagine isn't it??

You couldn't even be aware of blackness as there is no you to perceive it, How can a conscious being experience non existence?? Its mindblowing. It would be as if you never existed, past, present & future all erased. It makes me dizzy thinking about it! It bothers me more actually that might have happened to my mum & dad but it's still so abstract, to not perceive even not perceiving.

Thoughts on this??

I was a Christian so I never believed in non-existence. And when I heard atheists talk about wanting to be recognized or leave a legacy so they are remembered later, I thought it was weird: why should they care, they'll be dead...

But then my beliefs changed and for the first time I considered non-existence. And to my surprise, I felt sad. And the weirdest thing was the REASON for my sadness. I couldn't believe that I felt it (considering I never understood people who wanted to be remembered for something).

Turns out, like them, I was sad that I won't be remembered. And believe me, this feeling is really weird for me even now. Why should I be afraid of that? Why should I care about that? It must be some weird programming in us.

After thinking about non-existence some more, I began to realize that there are times when I actually like the idea of non-existence.

When I experience problems in life and realize that no matter how I try, things won't turn out that great and others will judge me and I will feel embarrassed.... THAT'S when the idea of non-existence becomes appealing to me. It brings the feeling of relief: that you don't have to be worried about what others think of you anymore.

Or sometimes when I struggle to get somewhere and realize that to get anywhere you HAVE TO go through pain and I really don't want to, that's when non-existence becomes appealing again. Because at those times I just want the struggle and the pain to be over. But people expect you to suffer, they need you to suffer (to be a better person) and so if you don't, they will judge you. And if you just want things to be over, they will judge you. And the only escape from all this judgement is a sweet relief of non-existence (where you know that no one could judge you if you chose to escape pain in life).

As for reality, I do believe in the afterlife and I do believe that I'll probably be judged for not doing as well as expected. So I have mixed feelings about having an afterlife. And sometimes I wish there was just non-existence.