View Single Post
Old 16-03-2017, 02:14 PM
Experiencer
Odd week and a half span with deer

I live in an area that is overrun by whitetail deer, according to a landscape designer I met it's the highest concentration in the state and possibly the mid atlantic. A week and a half ago after a walk in the woods there was a yearling trying to ram thru my fence, and then it tried to do the same to the neighbor's. Unfortunately the doe broke her neck in the process, and recovery for that type of injury is not likely. I had to call a wildlife officer to dispatch the deer to keep it from suffering. I handled the processing of the deer and it will go to good use.

Well, fast forward a week. 24 hours into the power outage from the winter storm, I noticed a deer hanging from the neighbor's fence in nearly the same spot that the previous deer had broken its neck. This one had its rear leg caught on the top of the fence. It was really amazing to have this deer so scared upon my appraoch, but I gently placed my hand on it's back and the deer went instantly calm and content. It's leg appeared to be fine despite the awkward angle from which it was hanging. With a quick cut of the wire, the deer ran off into the woods, but it did stop about 30 yards away, laid down for a minute, then ran off.

Two different outcomes, from similar circumstances, interesting to say the least.