View Single Post
Old 27-04-2018, 05:45 AM
Lepus

Hello,

@Tobi
I live in the suburbs where most of the homes are close to proximity with each other. I prefer to live in an open space with lots of greenery around my home. I recall seeing dragonflies in local parks even some at my yard; that's because my next door neighbor had a giant swimming pool in the yard attracting mosquitoes and dragonflies. Unfortunately, the pool was taken down and so the dragonflies left. There's plenty of sparrows around here including robins during spring. I've noticed wild rabbits are increasing around my area. I would spot them near my window during evening or midnight. Red cardinals can be heard but hard to spot. Squirrels are always around. I've seen frogs but not anywhere near my home. I would need to visit a different town to see them. I would visit parks with large bodies of water where frogs reside. Spotted a heron once. Glow-worms have completely vanished in my area. I don't remember the last time I've seen one. Honey bees are rare in my location and butterflies; well, I don't recall any last year, same with pigeons. Bats are gone, maybe migrated to a different destination to seek shelter.

You were bitten by an adder? Those snakes are venomous.

@Chrysalis
Spring might be here but plants haven't sprouted fully, yet. It's been a week or two that the temperature has finally warmed up. Will be getting warmer though, which is a great time for planting flowers. My neighbor always buys potted plants to bury in the yard.

There are specific animals around here that I'm used to seeing. I don't think I would come across a frog or toad in my yard. There's no pond or any water for that matter to attract frogs or toads. Monarch butterflies are rare in my area, pehaps I should plant milkweeds. I heard milkweed is bad for your pets, is that true? I read about habitat destruction down in Mexico where monarch butterflies migrate during winter.

I don't use any chemicals in my yard, especially with the recent reports that herbicide causes cancer.

Bats might have migrated somewhere else where there is a large pool of water and a cavern to live. Dragonflies only stick around where mosquitoes lay their eggs on water. Seen some at a forest preserve.

Thanks for sharing!

@Altair
I completely agree.

Lepus