View Single Post
Old 17-12-2018, 10:55 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahriman
I have this idea/theory that it doesn't matter what you think of yourself, it only matters what other people think of you, like for instance, if you thought you were an ENTP but 10 other people thought you were an INFJ, you would actually be an INFJ. I don't think it's even possible for a person's first person perspective of him/her self to be accurate, I think you can only know who you are based on how other people see you. I'm not saying everyone else's perception of you is accurate, but that's why you need to be discerning and have a good memory, to be able to separate the accurate perceptions of others from the inaccurate perceptions of others. Obviously this means I think solipsism is nonsense.

Ahriman - Let's say someone makes a big mistake in life. Everyone around him or her might attach a label to that person because of that mistake that marks him/her for life (at least in their eyes). But what if at the core the person who made the big mistake knows it simply was a reaction or bad decision at the wrong time. Should he/she pay the consequences for the rest of his/her life even though it was a one time event and the person he/she was at the time doesn't remotely resemble that person today? And yet if the majority of the people this person comes in contact with are still labelling negatively - is that really accurate?

If so, that would be why model prisoners that get out and try to live a honest life are often treated like their original offense. People change, but sometimes when other people's perception of that individual doesn't change, that doesn't mean the assessment by the masses is the truth.