View Single Post
Old 21-09-2017, 11:40 PM
Master
Hello,

From what I can gather from what I've come across over the years, some have been saying we have entered or entering a "new age". Opening up to being more compassionate and loving. Looking at the current ways in the world feel this can be debated. But, not meaning to debate.

"New Age" to me in some respects is a marketing term to attract those looking to expand one self development and spiritual growth. It does become a kind of mish-mash of eastern philosophies and practices and western thinking.

Yoganada brought the teachings of Yoga over to the US in '20s-'30s, I believe.
(Correct me if being inaccurate on dates). Which to me started opening the door to new ways (atleast in western culture) of exploring oneself.

Yoga practice been around for thousands of year, as well as Hinduism, Buhddism, and other practices of Native American Tribes and Pagen Religions.

In current decades ('60s, 70s,-to current), atleast in America and possibly other western nations these practices have spread and have been discovered by some. People have found a connection with them. Which has opened society more to accept some of the practices and made them less exclusive and more accessible. Which gave rise to the "new age" movement, as I understand it.

The downside may be that the true essence and purpose of the practices and rituals may get watered down. The " old ways" and teachings get muddled a bit and the general public may get a dummy down version of them. Not understanding the true discipline and dedication required to master such practices and disciplines.( atleast the public in general)

There is the upside as well and the more research is done showing the benefits of such practices as meditation and mindfulness.

Along with this, psychology gets thrown in the mix as well as nutritional health.
Not saying it is a bad thing necessarily, just can be confusing as to what one "should" be doing to obtain balance in ones life or spiritual connection.

Would say follow one heart and do the research. Find what works for you and not necessarily what is marketed out there as being the answer.

Mind you these are just my thoughts on this.