View Single Post
Old 25-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle
That's a really important point and in the West we probably only do a tenth of all the postures available.

I'm not aware of all the other limbs - I can think of
- pranayama
- meditation
- karma yoga
- bhakti yoga (devotional)
- chanting

What others? I might have crossed over some of them. It's hugely complex.

The following are the eight limbs(angas) of ashtAnga yoga (yoga of eight limbs).

(1) yama - moral restraint - these have to do how we deal with others. The moral restraints are non-violence, truthfulness, non-stealing, spiritual living and non-possessiveness.

(2) niyama - ethical observances - these have to do with how we develop our personal lifestyle. The observances are cleanliness (internal and external), contentment, effort, study (of ourselves and spiritual writings) and surrender to higher controller (Ishvara).

(3) Asana - posture - A proper posture is required to develop our bodies for concentration and meditation. Asanas were developed by hatha yogis for this reason. This is the part of yoga that is most known in the West.

(4) prANAyAma - controlledbreathing or voluntary breathing. It purpose is to focus the mind on yogi's goal and preventing it from wandering.

(5) pratyAhAra - resistance to sensory input or ability to withstand the onslaught of the senses.

(6) dhAraNA - concentration - the stilling of mind achieved through Asanas and pranayama is then to be followed by developing single-pointedness of purpose, that being understanding of ourselves.

(7) dhyAna - meditation - single-pointedness of the mind is directed towards mediation on ourselves, which leads a yogi to

(8) samAdhi - integration of personality.

Note: I have followed translations of Sanskrit terms following Edwin F. Bryant, R. C. Zaehner, and Nicholas Kazanas.