View Single Post
Old 22-04-2017, 09:27 PM
Master
Afformations rather than Affirmations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless36
I love affirmations, but wondered if anyone hadn't heard of Afformations. They are a twist on affirmations. invented by Noah St John, basically it is asking questions. Now he says when most people use affirmations their minds work against them. Example "I am rich" usually the brain says no you are not look at the bills you have to pay etc. However with Afformations, he has you turn it into a question "Why am I so rich". The brain immediately starts looking for evidence to support you without the same resistance that an affirmation produces. So its a subtle way of shifting your vibration towards what you want to create within your life.

Fearless36,

I have never heard of this twist on affirmations you cite from Noah St. John.

However, it occurred to me that your Example:"I am rich" usually the brain says no you are not look at the bills you have to pay etc. However with Afformations, he has you turn it into a question "Why am I so rich". The brain immediately starts looking for evidence to support you without the same resistance that an affirmation produces."....

....would likely cause my brain to answer the Afformation, "Why am I so rich?" with a similar answer as to the Affirmation,namely "...if you're so rich, how can you honestly be asking such a question in the face of obviously contrary circumstances?"

Basically, the whole problem I've found with affirmations is, ironically, not with affirmations, per se, but with the feelings they're supposed to generate. As cited in the reference by Neville Goddard entitled "Feeling is the Secret", below:

"The dominant of two feelings is the one expressed. I am healthy is a stronger feeling than I will be healthy. To feel I will be is to confess I am not; I am is stronger than I am not. What you feel you are always dominates what you feel you would like to be; therefore, to be realized, the wish must be felt as a state that is rather than a state that is not."

The feeling generated, in me, at least, and perhaps in many others, by twisting an Affirmation into an Afformation, usually begs the question, "Who are you foolin"? Why? Because, as just cited above, What you feel you are (poor) always dominates what you feel you would like to be (rich).

Do you see?

So the solution, for me, at least (and I suspect, for most), must involve overcoming the feeling of being poor, with a more powerful feeling of being rich, ....in a way that doesn't automatically generate the usual "Who are you foolin'?" response, programmed into my subconscious self-image amassed over a lifetime of "evidence" of feeling poor.

So, what is the REAL SOLUTION, beyond Affirmations or Afformations? Fortunately, Neville Goddard reveals PRECISELY what the solution is in the following excerpts from the reference below:

Chance or accident is not responsible for the things that happen to you, nor is predestined fate the author of your fortune or misfortune. Your subconscious impressions determine the conditions of your world. The subconscious is not selective; it is impersonal and no respecter of persons [Acts 10:34; Romans 2:11]. The subconscious is not concerned with the truth or falsity of your feeling. It always accepts as true that which you feel to be true.

He goes on to state:

Therefore, if you dwell on difficulties, barriers or delay, the subconscious, by its very non-selective nature, accepts the feeling of difficulties and obstacles as your request and proceeds to produce them in your outer world.

In other words, it is not whether the "words" comprising Affirmations are twisted into Afformations...that cause the changes you want in your life....no matter how frequently they're repeated, or rearranged.

...it is because, "Your feelings create the pattern from which your world is fashioned, and a change of feeling is a change of pattern."

Feeling is the secret...behind WHY "therefore the wish must be felt as a state that is rather than a state that is not", as referenced above

I hope you find the remainder of Neville Goddard's works, and the very excellent perspectives provided in his other works, (also referenced below), as helpful I have.

...at least, for how my mind works. This information may not be as useful to others as it has been to me.

Thanks for providing such an excellent subject in this thread...

BTW: Miss Hepburn started an entire sub-forum based on Neville Goddard's writings, which I've provided as the 2nd reference.

Reference: http://www.feelingisthesecret.org/

Reference: http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=104891
“Why, that’s true! I am a perfect, unlimited gull!” Jonathan opened his eyes asking, "Where are we?” The Elder Chiang said, “We’re on some planet with a green sky and a double star for a sun.” Jonathan made a scree of delight. “IT WORKS!" “Well, of course it works, Jon,” said Chiang. “It always works, when you know what you’re doing." (and even when you don't)

Last edited by guthrio : 22-04-2017 at 10:55 PM.