View Single Post
Old 20-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Mary Baker

I think it might help to realize that the Bible presents the evolving concepts of God in monotheism. The concepts men have had and also the ones currently held are not God himself, but human concepts of God, sometimes aided by spiritual experiences.

The concept Christ presented was that the greatest commamdment is to love God with all our being followed by loving our neighbor as ourselves and to love, pray for and do good to one's enemy. He said if we do that we are the children of our Father in Heaven. Following these commamdments, all falls into place naturally.

The concept of the Atonement seems obvious in Christ's concept of himself as he replaced the former practicing of animal sacrifice as a once for all sacrifice . I rather agree with another poster that mankind itself demanded a sacrifice because of our lack of love. I agree with the OT prophet, Hosea, who said in the book of Hosea, chapter 6 , verse 6, God desired mercy and not sacrifice.

Jesus , himself seemed to hold out some hope of "another way" praying just before his crucifixion that if there was another way that , "this cup pass from me."

However, I find most objection to the Bible and Christianity stems from a desire to deny any authority beyond one's natural self so as I have been accused of "picking cherries" from scripture, people antagonistic to scripture "pick pickles" .

A better way, IMHO, is to sincerely ask spiritual guidance and sincerely study the Bible as a whole.