View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 03:18 PM
Master
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baile
Heh, boy can I relate to that frustration.

Okay... there really are only two ways to respond: sympathy or experiential advice. I'm going to go with option #2 because I lost 95 lbs a few years back, got down to the low end of my recommended weight, and have been able to keep it off since. Way better than a sympathy reply because maybe what I say can help you too!

First, it took a year to lose the weight. You have to be ready for the long haul in other words. I did a couple of psychological things to help me stay on track:

1. I kept a weight journal, and I checked and wrote down my weight every morning upon waking (the time one is the lightest that day). I'd also jot down the spontaneous blurts that would pop out of my mouth when I saw I'd lost a pound or two: "OH yeah!"; "Yippee!"; "YES!!"

2. I bought pants and shirts that were too small, and then tried them on every 2-3 weeks to see if and how they fit. I literally shrunk into my new wardrobe as I lost weight. I was a 38 waist when I started. I went out and bought 36 pants. When I was finally able to comfortably wear the 36 pants, I went out and bought 34 pants. Etc. All the way down to 28... the size I was wearing when I left high school. That was an exciting day, the day I was able to fit into those 28s, let me tell you!

Now I could spend time talking about my diet, and I'm willing to do that. But only if you want to follow somebody else's (yet another) diet. I created it myself; it's strict and it's specific, the easiest part being you need to drink a ton of water each day - 20-30 glasses. And yes, that means you will be getting up 2-3 times in the middle of the night to pee!

EDIT: I added a recently-taken selfie to my profile just to show you my skinny self (so thin and so happy!).

I remember reading about your success ages ago, but have forgotten most of the details, and for starters, I agree with your response to FruitLoop, I have other reasons for being self-conscious (besides always having been that way - shy as a kid): one of them is something I never would've known about if I hadn't stumbled upon it on-line after a talk with my chiro about taking ativan - my chiro suggested I talk to my doc about switching to Xanax - but what I learned is that you can become 'addicted' even if you take it as directed, and agoraphobia is one of the many signs of withdrawals. Anyway, I thought it was important to mention here, I'll get back on track about the weight loss...

I was surprised when you said you kept a weight journal daily, BUT the last time I did lose weight, I weighed myself about once a week, was all I could take of being mindful of what I actually weighed due to the shame I felt. I'm about to go shopping and I'm going to get a battery for my scale.

I would like to know more about what you ate and your strategies, that's for sure!

Thanks.