View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 05:30 AM
Knower

My twin suffers from depression (and anxiety) too. At first I wanted to be his savior. I was at his beck and call all the time. 2am sudden tears? I was there. Hopelessness after a fail on a project? I was there. He grew dependent on me being there, and I grew dependent on being the savior. Things changed after he met someone. He stopped depending on me, but I also got the sense that he wasn't as needy to her as he had been with me. I could overanalyze that (and I have) to mean good or bad things. For example, I could say he values her more and doesn't want to put that on her and wants to be his best self for her, or I could argue that he doesn't feel as comfortable with her as he did me (he's one to hold things in). But once he stopped needing me, I felt useless and like he just used me as a crutch and it is taking me months to heal.

There were romantic feelings between us, so I would caution you to not believe this could never happen to you. I am also not saying that you and your twin are just like us and will have the same fate. After going through my experience, I would caution others to not allow themselves to be devoured by a loved one's depression, twin flame or not. Yes, be a listener. Yes, sympathize with them. If you truly believe they are in danger, such as suicide, then by all means, be there. But please keep your sense of self. Do not let a bout of his depression change your mood. Unless it is an emergency, do not cancel any plans or put off your needs to be there.

I hope this isn't misunderstood as heartless, but looking back, if I had followed what I just told you, my twin and I would be in a much better place right now and may have even still been good friends.