View Single Post
Old 24-10-2017, 11:32 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7luminaries

My conversation with you was brief, so I think we'd have to go into a lot more depth before I can clarify what you think I'm thinking and what you think you agree with regarding what you think I think, etcetera hahaha.

This is an open forum so I can read everything you write. I think, based on that, I'm somewhat privy to your general mindset. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7luminaries
I will say however that I've read loads of stuff with regard to scientific and biologically-based explanations of why we do what we do, and I find them largely unusable and only tangentially relevant, basically as you were saying, as any sort of standalone resource.
And that is because again to paraphrase what you were saying but with regard to my context, we are so much further down the road than that. In other words it is so far removed from where we are as integral, full human beings to try to somehow connect some very simplistic instinctual urges to the vast majority of everything we say and do and decide and so forth in our daily lives. It is vastly more nuanced and complex than that, even a simple conversation.

Well then you didn't read very deeply. The same science tells me the very opposite. Our bodes and our drives are incredibly complex while our minds are so simple, leaving us with the impression that we have more control than we actually do. There's no need to go much further with this discussion until you do some more digging among the books that I pointed to. Much of your opinions about the male and female differences seem to have emerged out of the 1960's when things were defined in emotional terms. Full of thoughts about ideals, and seriously lacking in usable "are as they are's". Humans are bound in such a way that hardly allows for extensive existential variables. Here's an old Buddhist saying that seems to be talking about your general approach: If you love the sacred and despise the ordinary, you are still bobbing in the ocean of delusion - Linji

I realize that you're a warm and loving person and are invested with all heart and soul. I'm just suggesting that you're missing a thing or two. :)