Thread: A poem I wrote
View Single Post
Old 30-05-2016, 01:37 AM
Knower
A poem I wrote

Hi everyone. So yesterday, I had a really strong urge to write a poem. I wanted to write a poem about expectations. The message I wanted to get across is that the most important thing is to love ourselves. When we love ourselves, its easier to love and accept others. Also, when others hurt us or deceive us, it is easier to forgive them when we love ourselves, because we didn't place our self worth and happiness completely upon them. We are already strong ourselves, and we understand everyone is human, and that in life we can get mad and hurt others, often unintentionally. So, I wrote a poem called Expectations. Here is my poem:

My dear one
There is no other way
That I would like you to be
Than the way you are now
It does not matter
The words you have said
Or the person that you were
Yesterday and the years before
Because today
You are exactly the way
That you should be
The person you are today
Is the person that
I will love for all of eternity
I do not expect you
To be my hero
That will satisfy all
the expectations I used to have
In my ideal partner and friend
But simply my companion
In the great journey
I am taking towards
Loving myself unconditionally
I rest assured
So happily and joyously
That in loving myself
That I am whole and complete
And now I know
That it is okay if others do not
Love me the same way
Because I am already filled
With the greatest love in the world
The love of myself

A day after I wrote this poem, I had a really bad breakup with a boy I liked. When I came home, I scrolled across this poem I had written the day before, and I was so shocked at how much this poem applied to me. It's almost as if it was the perfect message for me at the time. I think this poem has a good message for people going through a similar experience or even just when they think about the people who they are close to in their lives. I hope you enjoy my poem...feel free to provide feedback