View Single Post
Old 20-12-2010, 02:37 AM
Summerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagacat
Hi Chrysaetos. I can appreciate your point of view, though I respectfully disagree. Since other subject matters have been brought up, I would be interested to see what your thoughts are on places like Gobekli Tepe, which was constructed at least 17,000 BC or many of these ancient megalithic sites. Thank you!

Zagacat, thanks for talking about that. I had to do a quick look-up as I had not heard of it.
I saw a special on Chalco Canyon, New Mexico, which I have visited. They were the only known civilization to have tracked the moon across the sky in it's 19 year cycle ( I believe that was the number) The entire canyon was built in not to house people, but to track the moon and sun across the sky throughout the year, including the solstices. The kivas were all laid out for that purpose along an 8 mile canyon. Each of the kivas were a marking for the transit of the sun and moon. Amazing that a people in 850 AD would work in such arid, harsh conditions to accomplish this for the purpose of that. Not living quarters, but for ceremonies. It took 12 generations to build, outlying centers covered 95,000 sq miles and they traded with people as far away as 3,000 miles.