View Single Post
Old 19-06-2018, 08:03 PM
Master
Shaming in the name of Christianity

I have noticed a trend in Christian religions whereas people are shamed if church rules aren’t followed or non-members don’t commit. To be a Christian is to leave judgment to a higher source, call it/her/him God, Jesus, Saints, what have you. So why are people condemned for the error of their ways as being human (sins).

I know of people who have been excommunicated from Christian Churches for disobeying God’s rules, but in the eyes of the all-judging church. How Christian is it to throw people out of a congregation and act as judge and jury over their lives? How must a person feel about him or herself after having former Christian church members or friends reject them like a dysfunctional, abusive parent.

I know of one case whereas a man went home and shot himself dead on the front lawn after being excommunicated. I can’t help but blame the church for this man not having the self-worth to forgive himself and go on with his life.

My father-in-law recently passed away and I attended a Christian funeral. I was shocked when it came time to go to communion and go up and lay my hand on the casket. The priest made an announcement that if one has sinned and not gone to confession and/or if a person hasn’t been to church weekly and gone to communion that they are not to receive the host. I was really turned off by the audacity of this. I hadn’t even been in a Christian church in years and being told to cross my arms across my chest so that the priest would know not to give me the host, was a bit more than I could bare so I chose to remain in my seat during communion.

This is what I’m talking about. Would like to hear other people’s view on this topic of shaming.