View Single Post
Old 03-08-2019, 06:06 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernworm
Hello!

I was not raised Jewish and have not converted so I apologize for any misuse of terms/misunderstanding in general of what I'm talking about beforehand!

I'm currently working through reading the Tanakh, in the Nevi'im at the moment (Judges) and am really inspired to want to read the text with as much understanding as possible, I want to be fully aware of the presence of G-d in every passage. Except that the majority of the time I find myself feeling as if I'm missing the great metaphors and mysticism that make it so truly holy. I was wondering if anyone has some advice, should I read easier Jewish texts first, meditate a certain way before opening the Book, or am I just not spiritually ready to get the most out of it? I know I'm a complete spiritual novice and there's no way I'll get everything even after five readings of it, but I would love to discover a way of reading it that will bring me to a better understanding. If that makes sense. Thank you!

What helps me is I look at the Tanakh thru the lens of the Masoretic text.

I knew, you can't read Hebrew.

No problem.

Google Hebrew Interlinear Judges
and you will see things you did not find were in the text. For example, the word Lord takes on a new, foreign meaning.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜