View Single Post
Old 26-01-2018, 04:07 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by satorimind
I've pondered this one many times. What exactly was the Enlightenment that the Buddha achieved under the Bodhi tree 2,500 years ago.

The obvious answer is the ending of suffering. But didn't the Buddha still have a bad back after Enlightenment?

My guess he ended suffering, not pain. We all have pain; it is part of life. Suffering is what we add to pain, create on top of it.

I think it is this that the Buddha ended.

Anyone else got any ideas?

I think he saw into the true nature of this world. Ergo, dependent origination. Part of that is slightly esoteric, although I don't think that is the emphasis, nor should it be, in Buddhism.

I guess that Buddha also realized Nibbana - the actual cessation of dukkha, which is not just acceptance of pain (yes, there is pain), but the cessation of the dhammas associated with ego identity and human suffering.

I think the Buddha also achieved a great inner silence and peace - which is a hallmark of Nibbana - and also was born to a great compassion for the world - which is why he dedicated the rest of his life in service, to teach others of the truths he learnt through his Buddhist path.

This is what I believe the Buddha realized.

( I find the Heart Sutra, and Diamond Sutra actual reflections of the Buddha's deeper realizations )

BT