View Single Post
Old 03-01-2020, 03:28 PM
Master
Differences between Vedanta & Kashmir Shaivism III - Moksha or Liberation from bondage

The path to liberation described in Vedanta and KS can highlight another important difference between the traditions. Vedanta advocates things like discrimination, dispassion, right conduct, etc.; basically the individual makes effort to attain moksha. There is not a lot of emphasis on the initiation (Shaktipat) or even the necessity for this in order to attain moksha. Whereas in KS, the world is a divine play (leela) and one comes out of it by skatipat (anugraha), descent of the divine powers on the individual sentient being.

Quote:
6. Moksha (liberation from bondage)
In Vedanta we have four fold description for achieving liberation from bondage:
i) Discrimination
ii) Dispassion
iii) Right Conduct
iv) Desire for liberation

To get liberated one must:
i) act with zeal and faith
ii) act for the good of humanity
iii) get immersed in meditation

Kashmir Shaivism has a simple prescription for liberation from bondage. The logic behind this is that just ignorance is inspired by God so is revelation inspired by Him. This inspiration of divine knowledge is known as His Grace (anugraha) or the Descent of His powers (shaktipata). Only those individuals who receive Lords Shaktipata become interested in path of correct knowledge for achieving moksha. Three types of shaktipata have been described:

i) Tivra (swift) shaktipata
ii) Madya (moderate) shaktipata
iii) Manda (slow) shaktipata

Each of the above has further three sub divisions, thus making a total of nine shaktipatas. There is no restriction of caste, color, or creed for achieving moksha. Yoga is the means of liberation.