View Single Post
Old 19-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Master
Yeah, these threads ....my heart goes out to you...and makes me wish I didn't have to stop nursing college. I would have loved being a hospice nurse. I worked as a cna for a time in a nursing home and I never really feared death...but I did have a period of time I did feel uneasy about it, but I think I allowed others to believe their fears.

When I worked in the nursing home I saw so many people fearing death...I'd take it upon myself when I wasn't working to visit people that were nearing death in the ICU...and I'd listen to them and I'd talk to them. Sometimes I had to help them release their ingrained fears and guilt. It was a true blessing and I was honored to see them set free of fear and go into death and know it was only a transition and that were not dying really. Just the vessel for this period of life.

When My mom in law was dying...they told us, the doctors, that she was doing better and might make it. I was relieved...and I had to leave to take care of my kids and she grabbed hold of me with such force and I saw the fear in her eyes. I think of everyone in her family, she felt safest with me and knew somehow that I understood. I sat back down and I held her hand and just talked and eased her mind and her whole appearance just relaxed and I saw the fear leave. she couldn't talk, but I knew she was afraid and I did my best to ease her fears.